Friday, February 13, 2009

The "Hatchet Man"

Charles Colson, Born Again. ("Twentieth Anniversary Edition") Grand Rapids, Michigan: New Spire, 1995. Paperback, 350 pages.

On page 57, Colson identifies the "Hatchet Man" moniker as having originated in an article in the 15th October 1971 edition of The Wall Street Journal.

On page 89, Colson describes a White House conversation of 13th February 1973:
During my last meeting with the President as his Special Counsel, he was leaning back in his chair, crossed legs resting comfortably on his massive carved mahogany desk. We talked of the trip to Moscow [by Colson and his wife] and other things. Then I came to Watergate. "Whoever did order Watergate, let it out!" I said emotionally. "Let's get rid of it now, take our losses."
I barely had the words out before the President dropped his feet on the floor and came straight up in his chair. "Who do you think did this? Mitchell?--Magruder?--" He was staring intently into my eyes, face flushed, anger in his voice. I had struck a raw nerve, but I was convinced at that moment that he was as much in the dark as I was."
Well, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment